Mission Covenant Church was founded in November of 1883. A group of about 30 people met on the evening of November 15, 1883 in a one room public schoolhouse at the foot of Ghost Hill. These people were part of the Hessel Valley Lutheran Church and for various reasons felt the need to form a new and independent church. The Evangelical Free Church of Sugar Grove Township was formed with no denominational ties at the time.
Shortly after organizing land was purchased and construction of the church building began.
One of the most significant decisions in the history of the church was made in 1926 when the church decided to change from conducting services in Swedish to English. The decision to go from Swedish to English was an indicator of a church that is willing to do what is necessary in order to see the next generation be reached with the good news of Jesus Christ.